
As sad as it may seem to all of you, this is actually our last week of posts. For this week, take a moment to share your favorite quote about traveling with your fellow China Tour participants. In addition, explain why the quote is so meaningful for you. To get things started, here's one of mine: "Afoot and light-hearted I take to the open road/Healthy, free, the world before me/The long brown path before me leading me wherever I choose...Strong and content, I travel the open road." (From Walt Whitman--"Song of the Open Road")
I have 2 favorite quotes
ReplyDelete"If you wish to travel far and fast, travel light. Take off all your envies, jealousies, unforgiveness, selfishness and fears." - Cesare Pavese
(I really like this quote because it not only applies to travel, but life in general. To really get somewhere in life you have to leave behind all unnecessary evils.
"Travelling---It leave you speechless, then turn you into a storyteller." - Ibn Battula
Whenever, I travel to a new place it is always more exciting for everyone around me than it is for me. And its really interesting how it all plays out, even when I get to my destination its still more exciting for everyone else but never me. It is not until my journey's over that it actually hits me where I've been.
I hope there will be so many awesome experiences in China that will give us awesome story telling material! :)
Delete"For sitting softly cushioned or tucked in bed is no way to win fame, and without it a man must waste his life away leaving such traces of what he was on earth, as smoke in wind and from upon the water. Stand up! Dominate this weariness of yours with the strength of the soul that wins every battle if it does not sink beneath the body's weight." -Inferno XXIV 46-51
ReplyDeleteI like this quote because it reminds me that sitting and learning is only part of life. To truly experience life you have to get up and go out to seek what the world has to offer. What's life without a little risk? If "Every man is an artisan of his own fortune." Appius Claudius Caecus, then at some point you have to take hold of what is holding you back and cast it aside to go out and see what this world has to offer.
ReplyDelete"Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth...
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."
-Robert Frost
I distinctly remember reading this poem in grade school. It was the first piece of literature in my English textbook that made a lasting impact. It opened my eyes to life's possibilities when you take the more challenging route. I know that most everyone has heard this poem, but I feel like we can still gain a lot from its message! China is far from the ordinary; traveling there is like the road less taken. It is time to take a step out and explore a new culture!
I don't think many people will take the same "road" we will during this trip and see all that we will get to see!
DeleteUnfortunately, I have never read this poem before, but thank you Holly!
DeleteI love it. I can't wait for China and all of it's out of the ordinary experiences!
I remember reading this in high school and having to wright a response for it.
Delete“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
ReplyDeleteI like this quote because it tells me that I can stay in one place and only read one page of a book and not know what the rest of the book has in store for me. China will be another page to my book.
I like this quote too. It's kind of saying you know there's more out there (the rest of the book) connected to where you're at (your page), but you'll never know what it is until you continue your journey and find out.
DeleteAgree, agree, agree! I get bored if I don't travel. There is so much more out there that can enrich our lives. You can't explain the things you see, hear, and learn from traveling. You just have to do it.
Delete"A wise man travels to discover himself." -James Russell Lowell.
ReplyDeleteI am going on this trip not only to get the credits I need to graduate, but I'm also going in the hopes that I can find myself and figure out what I really want in life. For me, it's just that simple.
I could not agree with you more! I love discovering new things about myself each time I travel. I am excited for all of us to get to know ourselves better.
Delete“Never pass up new experiences; they enrich the mind."
ReplyDelete― Margaret Mitchell, Gone with the Wind
I love this quote because it embodies what I love most about travel - the new. I have never understood why people travel to new places only to look for the familiar. It is the search for the new, the unfamiliar that causes me to travel at all. I look forward to the new experiences that are quickly coming our way.
That's a really good quote :)
Delete“A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for” – John A. Shedd
ReplyDeleteI like this quote because it talks about our purpose. Yes, you take risks whenever you travel, but we've been given this whole world to explore. To not explore it would be a waste, especially in this century when it is so easy to get wherever we want to go.
I completely agree with you that we are fortunate to live in a country where it is so easy for us to travel and visit new cultures. It is important for us to make the most of this opportunity by being willing to step out of our comfort zone and experience new things.
Delete“I have found out that there ain't no surer way to find out whether you like people or hate them than to travel with them.”
ReplyDelete― Mark Twain
I didn't have a favorite quote about traveling, but Google is great and this one made me laugh because it's just so true. Through my travels, I've seen my friends and myself in a new light due to certain circumstances and experiences. Fortunately, most of my travels have strengthened my relationships.. but it's definitely a good way to REALLY get to know someone.
I love this quote, I traveling with my friends always cause me to think twice before i do or say something, because once one person gets upset it ruins the rest of everyone happiness.
DeleteThis is a funny quote, and quite true. You really get to see how people really are when traveling with them or simply when people are outside of their comfort zone.
Delete"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."-Mark Twain
ReplyDeleteI like this quote because it is important for us to make the most out of all of the opportunities that are given to us throughout life. As I live my life I don't want to look back and say, "I wish that I would have done this or that," but instead I want to be happy with everything that I have done. I am looking forward to this China trip because I feel that it is an incredible opportunity to see a new country and experience a new culture.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete“A journey is like marriage. The certain way to be wrong is to think you control it.” – John Steinbeck
ReplyDeleteI like this one because its true.
DeleteI like this quote too! It really shows that when you're traveling you need to be able to adapt, but also recognize that you are not there to change the culture that you're traveling in. I think this is a principle that is very applicable to our trip and traveling in general.
Delete“The traveler sees what he sees. The tourist sees what he has come to see.” ― G.K. Chesterton
ReplyDeleteI like this quote cause it separates the traveler and the tourist. When you're a tourist you are there to see what you already determined, but as a traveler you are soaking in everything about the culture. During this China trip, I want to be more of a traveler than a tourist so I can soak up as much of the culture as possible
this is true, tourists plan their trips, go to the exciting/interesting places, takes pictures and posts them online. travelers are all about experiencing everything they can.
Delete“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
ReplyDeleteThis quote for me explains my reason for wanting to see the world,without traveling weather its abroad or even within the US,one cannot experience or begin to understand other culture, and people. It's like you are left in the dark, while the world around you is moving you are still stagnant. It is also boring to only keep reading the same page of a book when there are so many other to experience.
I really like this quote. I agree I have always wanted to see as many parts of the world as I can. There are so many different people in the world and the only way to really understand them is to experience their culture first hand.
Deletehis is an awesome quote. it really simplifies the idea of how staying in one place is limiting yourself. I may never be able to read the whole book but it would at least be nice to skim over the major places
Delete“Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
ReplyDeleteI like this quote simply because getting off the beaten track is sometimes the best thing to do. It can give you a fresh perspective and allow you to experience things you never would've been able to had you stuck so close to what you already knew.
“There are no foreign lands. It is the traveler only who is foreign.”
ReplyDeleteI like this quote because it reminds us that as travelers we are the guests and should be careful to be respectful for the people and cultures we encounter during our travels. I think American's get a bad reputation as travelers because we often do not honor the culture of the places we visit.
“Why do you go away? So that you can come back. So that you can see the place you came from with new eyes and extra colors. And the people there see you differently, too. Coming back to where you started is not the same as never leaving.” - Terry Pratchett
ReplyDeleteI like this quote because it looks at traveling from a different perspective. By immersing yourself in another culture, you gain a sense of place in the world. And by having something to compare yourself to, you can better understand yourself.
nobody can discover the world for someone else. only when we discover it for ourselves does it become common groundand a common bond and we cease to be alone. - Wendell Berry
ReplyDeleteI really like this one because its like no matter how much you read about another place or do research at the end of the day their experience will not be your experience of the world. Also once you have discovered part o fthe world with someone else such as his tour group we will all have a common bond to share. I look forward to travelling with you all.