Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Week 10 Posts

Well everybody, we're moving quite quickly towards the end of the semester. Our journey is just around the corner. As you look ahead to the trip, consider how you plan to make the most of the coming opportunity. All too often when travelers return from time spent overseas, they come back with regrets about time spent watching TV, surfing the Internet, or even sleeping in rather than taking off to explore and interact with the country and people they are visiting. What can you do to make sure you return from your trip without these kind of regrets?

27 comments:

  1. Just have no regrets.

    I guess, maybe go out every night for like an hour or two. Don't be afraid to talk to strangers, trust God will keep you safe, sleep early and wake up early too. Don't think about things too much and just do it.

    No matter what happens I will just enjoy the trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree with your policy of going out each evening! It is so important to leave fear in America and immerse yourself in each country, each region's culture. You have the power to choose how much fun you will have and how much you will get out of any trip you take.

      Delete
    2. I agree I really look forward to getting to explore the places we go with our free time! As well as looking for souvenirs.

      Delete
    3. I'm Planning on doing the same thing!

      Delete
  2. i don't think i'll have any regrets while on this trip; our itinerary seems pretty packed, so we're definitely going to be on the move most of the time; and for the little amount of free time we do get, i don't think i can imagine Dr. Obe letting us waste it, especially on TV....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree with you. It looks like we are going to be staying pretty busy so you are right by saying that we probably won't have any free time. It should be a lot of fun with all of the things that Obe has planned!

      Delete
  3. Having spent a lot of time abroad I know that the most important thing is to just put yourself out there don't think like your normal self. This will be a new place with new people and new experiences. The most important thing is to be a little uncomfortable, because if you aren't you aren't trying an adequate amount of new things. I plan on trying new things, approaching the places we visit with an open mind and enjoying every minute of it regardless of how tired I get or how many mistakes I make.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm the kind of person who needs sleep or I'm completely worthless the next day. That's the only thing that I'm slightly concerned about, but I'll probably be so excited that I won't be able to think about sleep. I can't wait to experience yet another culture! I can't say I won't make any mistakes, but I plan on trying to make the best of every situation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We will probably all be tired, but I suppose we can sleep on planes, trains, and automobiles. I really want to see the city at night and I think it will be worth getting a little less sleep in order to see it. Just sleep when you get back. Haha, that's what America's for.

      Delete
  5. I've been blessed to have had many opportunities to travel over the years, but this will be my first time in Asia. I'm very excited to have the feeling of complete newness and to experience a different culture again. After studying abroad last year, I know how tiring traveling can be, but I'm so excited to take every opportunity to see and do new things while I'm in China. I want to get the most out of my time, so I'm for anything and will pack some energy bars or something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats really cool!! I am excited as well. I believe we are going to have a blast. Every day is going to be a blast. I can't wait to get to know you better and to experience a new culture.

      Delete
  6. I have been abroad numerous times, and have manage to return with no regrets. In order for that to happen I research about the ares that I will visit and find thing there that interest me, so that when I arrive I have an idea of what I want to do and try. The opportunity to be in a new place with a different culture is the most marvelous thing for me. I am exited to create new memories. China is in Exactly 30 days.....

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am looking forward to going out and touring. I really want to see the cities and explore, taking in everything I see. I probably won't be on the internet much since they kind of block what I'd spend my time on...like Facebook. I won't have any regrets if I take every opportunity to learn while there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am the same way! Facebook is a huge distractor for me; that won't be a problem in China!

      Delete
  8. I plan to really pay attention and absorb everything that I get to see, hear, and taste. I don't want to take anything for granted, after all, this will probably be my first and last time visiting China. How often to we get to visit cool places like this?? I plan on taking a lot of pictures to make sure that I don't forget any part of this wonderful experience.
    Oh, and I won't eat or drink anything that might make me sick, because I think that would be something I'd really regret! Drinking tap water or eating sketchy street food is probably not worth the risk. What would you call diarrhea that isn't from Mexico? ...The Emperor's Revenge?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Holly I don't think we will have an opportunity like this again! Being sick over there would be the worst.

      Delete
  9. When I travel, my goal is not to have "no regrets". Rather, I hope that I have experienced the culture fully enough and put myself out there enough to run the risk of having regrets. I love to go out and explore with any spare time that I am given. My belief is that God gave us caffeine for a reason. I will sleep before and after this trip. During the trip, time is of the essence. The only use of the internet and TV that I believe belongs on a trip is to research one's surroundings. Otherwise, living in the moment is how I plan on spending my time in China. This way I will not have any real regrets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you Meredith. That's exactly what one should do.

      Delete
  10. I plan to really/fully experience China. I am ready to try and eat anything new. I love trying new delicious foods. Im not afraid of eating weird things. I will try and experience everything to the fullest because thats how I live my life. I live my life to the fullest, also you only live once. YOLO. Im excited for this trip and also to make some new friends. I believe we have this fun/lovin group. We are going to make some good memories!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's cool that you're not afraid of eating weird things. I am a super picky eater, so I think it will be hard for me to try random things that might look interesting. Haha. But I guess I'll have to hang around people like you to make me do it!

      Delete
  11. My plan for this trip is to not have any regrets by making the most out of every opportunity. I am going to make sure that I am using my free time to experience and see the Chinese culture. The way that I look at it is that I have 3 weeks in China to experience what China has to offer and I have the rest of my life to watch TV or surf the internet. I plan on be willing to experience whatever the Chinese culture has to offer me. I am looking forward to the many memories that I will make from this experience!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I plan to explore and see all that I can while I am in China. Especially trying all the new foods I will be exposed to. Since we will be there for a couple of weeks, I hope to see how the Chinese interact with one another whether they know each other or not. I want to leave China with no regrets!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Being in China, I don't think I'll even have the desire to spend time watching TV anyways. The only thing that might be difficult for me is waking up early, but as long as I have a partner to keep me accountable to get up and go explore, then I should be good to go. I am so excited for all the things we will be doing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sleeping is the whole point of traveling! but I will make sure to wake you up at the break of dawn with an ancient Swiss yodel of adventure.

      Delete
  14. For me personally to get the most out of my trip I think I will leave my electronics at home, although they can be quite useful they can also be a distraction from the experience. Also when we do have free time I look forward to exploring the cities we visit and learning more about the culture of each region. What I am looking forward to most is seeing the Great Wall of China. I have read quite a bit about it and cannot wait to see it in person

    ReplyDelete
  15. For me I really want to get the most of the trip by really integrating in the culture as much as possible with the little time available. I want to experience all I can, while taking time to understand the culture of the people. I don't want it just to be about fun but also about education.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I hope to eat a lot of food! And I hope I don't get sick! Usilay when I travel to a foreign county one of my favorite things to do is go to the market and the bazaars and see that kind of treasures i can eat.

    ReplyDelete