Consider some experiences you have faced while traveling, either in the US or abroad, in which you found yourself forced to expand outside of your normal experience. How do such circumstances affect us, both short term and long term? Why are they valuable for both ourselves and the people that we meet along the way? What advice can you offer your classmates for how to enjoy, rather than feel intimidated by such experiences?
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” ~ Mark Twain
Monday, April 15, 2013
Week 11 Posts Due April 19
The second time I traveled to Thailand, I went to attend a traditional wedding ceremony in the rural Thai village of Ubon, near the border with Laos. We traveled for most of the night by bus from Bangkok, arriving at 4 am and then passing out on pallets in the loft of the bride's family home, while her extended family partied and continued preparations below. After a two hour nap, I was advised that the shower was available. Now, I had traveled in Thailand before and considered myself pretty open minded, but if my friend hadn't stopped me on the way downstairs and said, "You do know it's a traditional shower, right," I would have been confused and probably embarrassed myself by returning unshowered to our hostess. "Shower" in my experience has always denoted an overhead faucet with water running down; never has it conjured pictures of a dripping mid-waist high pipe filling a large garbage can with a smaller bucket and pail beside it. A traditional shower means that you stand close to a hole in the bathroom floor, pour water over yourself with a pail, soap up, and then rinse off with another few pailfuls of water, all the while attempting to keep your dirty water from getting in the large garbage can. Incidentally, the same pail is used to pour water into the toilet for flushing--no handles.
Consider some experiences you have faced while traveling, either in the US or abroad, in which you found yourself forced to expand outside of your normal experience. How do such circumstances affect us, both short term and long term? Why are they valuable for both ourselves and the people that we meet along the way? What advice can you offer your classmates for how to enjoy, rather than feel intimidated by such experiences?
Consider some experiences you have faced while traveling, either in the US or abroad, in which you found yourself forced to expand outside of your normal experience. How do such circumstances affect us, both short term and long term? Why are they valuable for both ourselves and the people that we meet along the way? What advice can you offer your classmates for how to enjoy, rather than feel intimidated by such experiences?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
The short-term affects of being forced outside of my comfort zone have caused me to be on edge, but looking back the long-term affects are fun. Knowing that I was able to adapt to the different situations is a great growing experience. Not knowing what might happen makes travel fun and a great adventure, for me. The key thing for me to remember is that even if I feel uncomfortable the moment will pass and I will be able to look back with hopefully a good outcome to the situation.
ReplyDeleteI am the same way. When I first got here during Smart Start, I literally would go to class and go straight to my room. I avoided all human contact, because I guess I was afraid people wouldn't be able to understand me. But, after a while I met some people and started to be more outgoing and actually would start conversations.
Deletethe last part of your post is especially true, always remember the moment will pass. Whether the outcome is good or bad, it's an experience and it can only make us better.
DeleteI completely agree, some of my most uncomfortable situations have turned out to be some of my best memories of traveling. It is empowering to see the way we are able to adapt to changing surroundings.
DeleteCircumstances like this have naturally made me feel uncomfortable in the short term. However, in the long term, the experiences in which I felt the most uncomfortable are the ones I remember the most. These times are when we learn to adapt and overcome our comfort zones. These are the times in which we grow as a person. Some advice I would offer is basically to get over yourself and laugh at times when you might feel uncomfortable. Having to use a bathroom that is different or being in an awkward situation are the times we look back at and laugh about.
ReplyDeleteI completely agree! The best stories come from the having to use a bathroom with no toilet paper, even though it might not be ideal in the moment. In order to enjoy these experiences and to grow as individuals, we need to step out of our comfort zone and try new things!
DeleteSeveral times in my past when I would visit my extended family in Philippines, I recall having to readjust myself drastically. Which meant, speaking more Tagalog (and not just the basic but the actual dialects of my Father and Mother). I also had to get used to riding tricycles and driving in the Philippines. Because of the different experiences and adventures, I was able to acquire the ability to change depending on where I was. In the short term, this helps me a lot when I would visit for a new place for a couple weeks. In the long term, it made my transition (when I first arrived here) to be easier than it would have been, if I hadn't experience all those changes and culture shocks. It really helped me be more understanding. Rather than being ethnocentric, I became more open-minded and ready to try new things. My advice would be, I guess, to forget the life you had before you stepped onto that plane and welcome the new chapter in your life that will change you.
ReplyDeleteI think that your last sentence is very profound. When traveling, it can be easy to accidentally bring a lot more baggage with you than you are aware of - both figuratively and literally. Leaving your old self in the country that molded it is the best idea for reducing tensions and awkward situations.
DeleteIt's always tough adjusting in the short-term to things that make me uncomfortable or that are just uncommon for me to do. But in the long-term I always look back and I'm happy that I did do them and I know that because I took a step out of the circle that I thought protected me, I became a better and more open and accepting person. My advice would be to accept everything that comes you way and learn all you can.
ReplyDeleteI think sometimes we need a little uncomfortableness to get us to branch out. It helps us break out of the bubble we know and force us to do/learn new things. Sometimes you just have to go all in (prepared or not) to really get the experience.
Deletei've actually had an issue with adjusting to new surroundings or completely foreign customs etc. i've always been open minded and guess maybe that's why such new things are always a bit more interesting rather than scary. Hopefully it won't end up in a case where "Curiosity killed the cat" but i definitely like trying out new things and going to strange new places.
ReplyDeleteI think that is awesome that you are open minded and are willing to try new things. That is very important, especially when traveling because you never truly know the type of situations you will be put in. I think that it is important for us to all be willing to have an open mind throughout new experiences.
DeleteI have always found travelling interesting and more fun because I know I will be forced to leave my comfort zone. I personally find it to be invigorating and exciting when I am faced with new the new challenges brought up in travelling. When I was travelling in Morocco I noticed the difference in culture probably more than anywhere else I have ever been. Everywhere I went people were trying to pull me aside to places to buy things or calling out after me because I briefly looked at them while they were street performing. It was not that they were trying to harm me or steal from me, this was simply the way their culture dealt with foreigners who came into their markets and it was how they made their meager living. While I was there I learned of large families who lived on 100 dirham a month, this is the equivalent to $10 approximately. Sometimes things that make us uncomfortable in different cultures have been adopted as normal practice just so the locals can survive.
ReplyDeleteI understand what you mean when you describe the persistent people on the streets. I think I've sort of experienced part of that when I visited Mexico. This has been a difficult aspect for me to adjust to because it makes me feel uncomfortable. I need to remember that this is a perfectly normal part of their life.
DeleteThat's a really good point, that we need to realize that things that might make us uncomfortable are actually normal things in different cultures. We need to be open to practices outside of our culture.
DeleteDuring my senior year of high school, I had the opportunity to travel to Belize for a mission trip. I had never been on a mission trip before so it was an entirely new experience. Things were a lot simpler, the language was different, the weather was horribly hotter, and location was rustic. Since I have never been one to really 'rough it,' it was an incredible opportunity to broaden my horizons. Once I decided in my mind that I was going to have a good time no matter what and help wherever I could, my perspective totally changed. Getting bombarded with mosquitoes and heat waves became tolerable. It became second nature to toss toilet paper in a trash can rather than the toilet. I even had some great times making casual conversation with a large frog chilling the corner of the bathroom while I took ice cold showers.
ReplyDeleteMy point is, no matter how different your situation may be, if you mentally prepare yourself for the unusual and decide that you will have a good time... You will.
I think that such experiences are beneficial, they help us to grow as human beings by forcing us out of our comfort zones. It allows us a chance to experience life the way many other people on earth live it. The saying, "don't judge someone until you have walked in their shoes" applies to situations like these. Although I have not traveled out of the country a lot when I have I learned a lot about other cultures and gained perspective that is not available from within the United States.
ReplyDeleteSome advice I'd offer to others is to stay open minded as some of the situations may be uncomfortable at the time they will be some of your best memories in the long run.
DeleteAny time you step out of your comfort zone, things will get somewhat stressful. In the short term, we will worry and stress, trying to figure out what the right thing is to do. In the long term, however, we may have lasting memories and new knowledge that can help us feel more comfortable in future situations similar to the one we experienced. They are beneficial to us because we are able to broaden our understanding of others' culture. To others, our awkwardness may open up some of our culture to them. The best thing to do is try to relax and feel comfortable. Look to people around you to determine what is socially acceptable, and above all try your best. Many times it's not about getting things right, it's about showing the other culture that you care enough to try.
ReplyDeleteExperiences abroad that force us to get out of our comfort zone can be extremely beneficial for us both in the short-term and long-term. I had the opportunity to study abroad in Spain last year and the experiences that I had from the different culture taught me a lot of lessons that are important in life. For example, the culture in Spain is very laid back as people are more into an easygoing lifestyle compared to the fast passed life that we have in the United States. This was an adjustment that took me a little while to adapt to because I was so used to the life that I had in the United States. This experience caused me to revaluate a lot of my priorities and helped allow me to be more willing to accept other people’s cultures. As we all know, not everyone believes or does the exact same things that we do and it is important for us to find a way to respect other cultures and have an open mind about them. In order for someone to have the best experience possible when traveling, they must make sure that they are willing to try and experience new things within an entirely different culture than what they are used to. In the short-term we may become stressed from these changes but over time we will become more accepting and grateful for the challenges and experiences that we had.
ReplyDeleteI believe that uncomfortable situations are one of the greatest blessings travel has to offer. Personally, they tend to lead to short term embarrassment, but I always love re-telling those awkward stories the best. The chance to grow and expand yourself through these experiences is invaluable. Plus, your awkward situation is often a learning (or sometimes laughing) opportunity for others. Anytime I have traveled, there has always been a plethora of awkward moments awaiting me. I have learned that laughing is by far the best way to handle them. Laugh and move on. People are typically kind; they won't rehash your faux pas unless you do.
ReplyDeleteI fully agree with this!! I enjoy traveling with friends and doing weird things.
DeleteThat is so true, the most awkward situations are the ones we remember most, because of the way it happened or the way we felt. It often helps us not to make the same mistakes as well.
DeleteTraveling to different places has always been a big part of my life. I've been to many different countries through family trips, mission trips, and studying abroad. Each time I travel to a new place, I learn something new about the culture i'm visiting, and something new about myself. I think my year abroad as a whole taught me to be more flexible and easy going. I studied abroad in Italy, and over there things get done when they get done.. which is usually never. I had to learn to adjust my schedule and go with the flow. This has helped me become a much less stressed-out person. I enjoy being spontaneous and don't get as easily agitated when a plan falls through. This will definitely help me throughout life in all situations because when dealing with people, it's not easy to control what everyone else does. However, if you're willing to be flexible and easy going, it is easier to avoid conflict when things don't go as planned.
ReplyDeleteIf I had any advice, it would be to just "roll with the punches," because on trips like these, the best experiences usually come from the unplanned detours.
Your advice of "rolling with the punches" is really good advice. Nothing every goes entirely as planned, no matter the amount of planning. Recognizing this fact can make a trip experience a lot more enjoyable and less stressful.
DeleteI Had the same experience when i was travailing in Thailand. I think that having experiences like this makes it so we can situations without batting an eye at it. I have found that I don't get embarrassed as much as i used to. Lots of times, situations like this end up being something to laugh at.
ReplyDeleteI totally agree with you. I believe the most embarrassing times make the most memorable times because it stands out in your mind. Laughter is the best medicine for awkward moments.
DeleteI had a time when I went to Fiji for a mission trip and the community fed us a bunch of their locate foods and such. The thought of sharing their food was amazing but the taste of their food was really bad. It was an awkward situation because a lot of the people who went with me didn't like the food and was kind of disrespectful, but all in all it was a good memory to remember. I believe the awkward situations are the best because its so unexpected and really cool experience. If you don't like awkward situation, just make the best out of it and enjoy it.
ReplyDeletewhen i went to study abroad in Argentina one of the first few experiences which put me out of my comfort zone involved how people greeted each other. Growing up in Miami Fl i already had an idea that latinos tend to greet with a kiss on the cheek. However i was unaware that the situation applied for males and males alike. So long story short, i was speaking with a guy and by the time the conversation was finished, i saw him lean in towards my face -_- whoaaa... everything just happened so slowly as i stood still in disbelief as he placed a kiss on my cheek and completely ignored my outstretched hand. At first i was like what just happened however after sitting back and observing how people interacted, then i realized that it was a normal part of their culture.
ReplyDeleteHaving travelled a lot, there have been many experiences that I felt uncomfortable in the short term. However, each one of those experiences have helped me be more comfortable in the long run. I have come to accept the fact that in a different culture, no matter how much I am prepared, there is always going to be something unexpected. And I think it is important to remember that because it helps me deal with the situation better.
ReplyDeleteBeing half Mexican I have traveled a lot to Mexico to visit older relatives and cousins. It's funny because every time I come back home I long for the simple lifestyle of being in my Mexican house with everything I need at walking distance and culture every where I go. Not to mention the food is amazing! However I also realize that there is a lesser chance of me becoming successful in my career in Mexico. These experiences help me appreciate how free the U.S. is and how it is the land of opportunity.
ReplyDeleteTraveling for me automatically says that I'm ready to get out of my comfort zone and experience the cultures of others. For me it was my trip to the Philippians that really cause me to get out of my comfort zone, we were traveling for 18 hours on a bus to another city and for the first 10 hours it was fine, as we got into the country area I began to really feel the difference,I had to be more careful. looking at that experience from a short term point of view I was concerned, thinking is the lifestyle healthy, my american fix it mentality kicked in. But long term, I realized that the families were happier than those i had seen with more modern lifestyle. From this particular experience I had I would say look at the culture you are visiting through their eyes, don't try to look at it from an american standpoint. You may not understand it.
ReplyDelete